[Kst] NewDocs comments..

Duncan Hanson duncan.hanson at gmail.com
Sat Mar 31 05:11:57 CEST 2007

On 3/30/07, Barth Netterfield <netterfield at astro.utoronto.ca> wrote:

> Working With Views -> View Object Types -> [all]
> Working With Views -> View Object Types -> Plots -> auto labels:
> Working With Views -> View Object Types -> Plots-> Range tab:

Ok, thanks for comments. Will do.

Ch 8 Adding and Removing Plugins:
> Built-in plugins -> Butterworth filters

I didn't touch anything to do with Plugins. I haven't looked at the new
Plugin setup yet, and when I originally started doing docs I think that you
said Adam would be interested in changing the documentation for them
himself.

Indirect files:  description seems wrongish.
>         These are files that point to data sources.  Yes, they can use
> KIO, but
> anywhere we use a file name, we can use KIO - that is not the
> point.  These
> were actually invented to tell kst the name of the current file being
> written
> to by an experiment.  For example, for BLAST, the data loggers would write
> on
> the local machine to files whose cryptic name was created by from the time
> of
> creation (so 112312312.d or some such...).  In addition the data loggers
> created these files:
>         defile.cur: pointed to the current line-of-site data file being
> written to
>         tdrss.cur: pointed to the current tdrss sattelite data file being
> written to
>         slowDL.cur: pointed to the current slow data file being written
> to.
> So if you wanted to plot GYRO1 data from the LOS data file currently being
> written to, you would type "kst -y GYRO1 -n 1000 defile.cur".  The .kst
> files
> can refer to defile.cur.  Then, running a kst file later always refers to
> whatever the current data file is.

Hmm... Ok. My experience with the Indirect data source has only been that it
is the datasource which claims things from http, etc. I will look at the
code for it more closely and try to come up with a better description.

> Appendix A. Command Line Usage and Examples
>         My email address is wrong.

I didn't touch this stuff either-- has anything else in the command line
changed?

Appendix B. Creating Additional Plugins
>         Does this describe the new plugin system, or the old (depricated)
> plugin
> system.  (I think old - can someone verify).
>         If so, could we describe the new one instead?
>
> Installing Kst from Source -> requirements
>         I think we require KDE 3.4 and qt 3.3.  George?

I'll wait for George to respond. There's a thread on the list about this,
where 3.3/3.3 is touted, but Andrew says at the end that it's actually 3.4
/3.3.

Duncan.