[Kst] NewDocs comments..

Barth Netterfield netterfield at astro.utoronto.ca
Sat Mar 31 04:41:33 CEST 2007

Duncan,

I've finally gotten to start to look at these....
Looks excellent.

Some comments:
Author list:
	-Add Yourself!
	-I know Philip was going to work on docs, but in the end, did he?  George?

Working With Views -> View Object Types -> [all]
	for each view object type, list ways of creating them... eg, plots are
created from vaious dialogs, plots->new plot or with the plot tool.

Working With Views -> View Object Types -> Plots -> auto labels:
	Auto label clears the top label, rather than inserting a path.

Working With Views -> View Object Types -> Plots-> Range tab:
	some of these options can be set by keyboard acclerators from in a plot:
Forward reference to the zooming section.

Ch 8 Adding and Removing Plugins:
	this section seems wrong... there is no plugin manager.

Built-in plugins -> Butterworth filters
	These are not true butterworth filters, but rather flat-phase filters with
the same gain as a butterworth filter.  (True butterworth filters have rather
nasty phase properties).  We settled on calling them 'Flat Phase Butterworth
filters"...

Indirect files:  description seems wrongish.
	These are files that point to data sources.  Yes, they can use KIO, but
anywhere we use a file name, we can use KIO - that is not the point.  These
were actually invented to tell kst the name of the current file being written
to by an experiment.  For example, for BLAST, the data loggers would write on
the local machine to files whose cryptic name was created by from the time of
creation (so 112312312.d or some such...).  In addition the data loggers
created these files:
	defile.cur: pointed to the current line-of-site data file being written to
	tdrss.cur: pointed to the current tdrss sattelite data file being written to
	slowDL.cur: pointed to the current slow data file being written to.
So if you wanted to plot GYRO1 data from the LOS data file currently being
written to, you would type "kst -y GYRO1 -n 1000 defile.cur".  The .kst files
can refer to defile.cur.  Then, running a kst file later always refers to
whatever the current data file is.

Appendix A. Command Line Usage and Examples
	My email address is wrong.

Appendix B. Creating Additional Plugins
	Does this describe the new plugin system, or the old (depricated) plugin
system.  (I think old - can someone verify).
	If so, could we describe the new one instead?

Installing Kst from Source -> requirements
	I think we require KDE 3.4 and qt 3.3.  George?