[Kst] TR: Merging

George Staikos staikos at kde.org
Thu Jan 4 19:30:40 CET 2007

On 3-Jan-07, at 5:48 AM, Brisset, Nicolas wrote:

>> I'm quite happy with the hierarchy branch now and I'd like to
>> merge it
>> tomorrow.  If anyone has any last issues please let us know ASAP.
> It seems some of the issues I have reported recently have been
> solved, but some remain like change data sample ranges not working,
> and more serious: how to update metadata when the source changes ?

    The first item here, if it is a regression, will block merging.
The second one will not.  Merging is only being held up by the
possibility of regressions right now.  We will continue to sort out
problems with the new features in trunk.

> There is especially one bad case, when two sources provide the same
> metadata (say FlightNumber) and you want to change one of them with
> the change data file tool. By the way, when you change sources and
> a label uses [FlightNumber], part of the label disappears as if the
> reference were no longer valid, but not updated.
> I have also attached a screenshot showing that strings don't seem
> to get cleaned up properly. I had only one datasource loaded at the
> time I made the screenshot...

    Also doesn't sound like it will hold up merging.

> One thing I wanted to test is whether changing a data file while a
> fit was in use still leads to a deadlock, which is something I
> noticed recently (not in this branch) and didn't have time to
> report. As it stands, I'm off in a few seconds for one week of
> holidays, so I don't have time to do more than write this mail.
> I'll look into it when I'm back if nobody else has had time to do it.

    If this was the case in trunk already it won't hold up merging,
but I think this one is fixed anyway.

> To sum up, I think this branch is a nice step and quite stable,
> even though some issues remain. I'd say merge, and then we can
> finish fixing the problems. Nobody should be using this in
> production yet anyway, so a few days of partly-broken functionality
> probably won't hurt too much.

    Well we need to merge as quickly as possible because it's really
holding up some new work now.