[Kst] Getdata library

Theodore Kisner tskisner at lbl.gov
Thu Aug 23 19:06:08 CEST 2007

You might also consider a slightly modified dirfile library that I created
here:

http://cmb.phys.cwru.edu/kisner/code/dirfile/

it includes byte-swapping (all datafiles are stored on disk as little-endian,
even on big-endian machines), and "putData" functionality.  It also was not
meant to necessarily be used with kst, so each field is treated as having an
independent number of frames.  This means that there is no mechanism
for "synchronizing" fields.

For example, in kst, each field in a given dirfile has the same number of
frames, and a "master" field is checked to get this number of frames.  When
writing data in real time, this "master" field is updated last, which
guarantees that ALL fields have at least as many frames as the master.

In libdirfile, none of this is true- a dirfile is just a collection of binary
files, each with an arbitrary length.

One recent change added was a set of functions to explicitly close the
filehandles associated with the fields.  For performance, the filehandles are
cached in a global structure, but on some systems there are problems having
more than 1024 files open at once.

Also, I tried to keep Barth's original coding style when I forked the code
several years ago.  If I was doing it over from scratch at this point, there
are definitely some things I would clean up.

Hope this is useful...

-Ted