[Kst] Video tutorials as complement to the documentation

Brisset, Nicolas Nicolas.Brisset at eurocopter.com
Fri Oct 27 10:32:27 CEST 2006

Hi Duncan,

I see you are working on kst documentation. I think that's a very good
idea, as users are often disappointed to see that the docs are not up to
date. One thing that is not overly complex to create and very useful to
get started is video tutorials. I had once prepared one on the
datawizard, which you may know as it is linked to from the help page on
the official kst site. I used wink, a free and quite handy tool that
produces good Flash videos. I think it would be a very good idea to
prepare a series of such tutorials to explain:
- data import (with the datawizard): basically, the one I did but it
needs to be updated
- basic UI presentation (zooming, tied axes, data mode, most important
plot dialog features, layout mode & annotation objects)
- data manager, equations, plugins (and direct fit/filter plugins from
the RMB), PSDs, multiple object edition
- tools (change data file, change data sample ranges, color per file,
event monitor, ...)
- export facilities (bitmap and vector export, the black&white printing
wizard, ...)
- images, maps, matrices

I think with these tutorials users would get started very quickly and
use the full potential of kst. The only underrated areas are batch usage
and scripting, but I'm not sure a video tutorial is the best way to
illustrate this :-)
If you can't create them all yourself, maybe we could ask on the list
for volunteers, to distribute the work. No programming knowledge is
required to create these video tutorials, you just need to know kst as a
user and learn how to use wink (quite easy in fact, as it comes bundled
with a self-explaining video tutorial). How does that sound ?