[Kst] Introduction to KST mailing list.

George Staikos staikos at kde.org
Wed May 3 15:36:51 CEST 2006

On Wednesday 03 May 2006 03:34, Brisset, Nicolas wrote:
> >   I am a mentor on the SoC.  I actually help organize the KDE
> > participation as well.  I can definitely put up some
> > suggestions on the KDE list.  In fact, I already have some
> > ideas.  Scripting!
>
> Well, as I have not yet looked in detail at the new scripting
> possibilities I may be wrong, but it seems to me that most of the code
> is there already. What's certainly lacking is some documentation and
> examples, but if I were a student looking for some coding thrills I'd be
> sort of reluctant to end up writing docs :-) And besides, I suppose
> there are some criteria to meet to qualify as a SoC project...
> Looking at the list of planned improvements (and adding some !), the
> following seem more interesting for a SoC project (in my opinion at
> least):
> - data subsets and masking
> - adding 3D plots (not sure this is really planned, though) e.g. with
> qwtplot3d
> - datasource enhancements (by the way, does the sentence "Do not attempt
> at this time to support non-sync data" mean that my buddyVar() idea
> won't be implemented in the short term ?)
> - undo/redo framework
>
> I have no idea what can be achieved in 2 months, though :-) And maybe
> you see things differently ?

  There's no way these would succeed in a SoC project based on the results we
had last time.  Some of these are very complex and would probably just waste
my time as a mentor since these would be done out of the main tree and likely
not accepted as-is.  By scripting, I actually meant writing scripts, not
working on the scripting engine, although the scripting engine still needs a
-lot- of work.