[Kst] getdata patch

Ted Kisner tskisner.public at gmail.com
Fri Jan 6 20:50:34 CET 2006

I like this idea, especially since I've been meaning to add the INCLUDE and
multiply functionality to libdirfile...

One caveat though:  is it worth doing this now, or should libdirfile simply be
obsoleted by a new, network transparent, general purpose, super duper binary
format?

Perhaps we should keep libdirfile for the near term.  If so, and we decide to
combine our efforts, then I think we need to:

1.  Find a place to host a cvs/svn tree (I don't want to do this at CWRU,
since I'll no longer be part of John's group in the near future)

2.  Do a general code cleanup and agree on some style guidelines (same as
kst?)

3.  Improve documentation

4.  Make it threadsafe by adding pthread locking around the static structures

The features that I've added beyond standard getdata are:
a)  autoconf/automake/libtool
b)  largefile support
c)  putData
d)  endian swapping, so that data is *always* stored little endian
    (this is so that you can copy files between different machines)

check out dirfile-0.87 here

http://cmb.phys.cwru.edu/kisner/code/dirfile/

Some parts of the autoconf system need improved, since I've learned a bunch
since I wrote the configure.ac :-)

-Ted