[Kst] extragear/graphics/kst/src/libkst

George Staikos staikos at kde.org
Wed Feb 15 21:41:51 CET 2006

On Wednesday 15 February 2006 15:09, Barth Netterfield wrote:
> I think this breaks .kst files that use "-frames" that are saved in a
> different language.

  Yes it does in the case of RTL languages, or if translators do weird things
when they see this fuzzy.  I think it's OK to break RTL since we don't
support it anywhere else anyway, and well, translators can break the app many
other ways than just this.

> The current behavior makes "<Filename>-frames"  the name in any language,
> which makes .kst files portable.
>
> This patch makes "<Filename>-<i18n(frames)>" the name, which makes kst
> files non-portable between language.

  No, it makes i18n("<filename>-frames") the name in any language.  The
-previous- version was "<filename>"+i18n("-frames"), which was wrong in RTL
and very hard to translate.  I suspect that anyone doing translations was
seeing that as "negative frames".

> A third option is to translate scalar references to english when saving and
> from english when loading in addition to the attached patch.  This
> (silently) makes the english translations reserved in any language, which
> will make unlikely but possible bugs.

  I don't think we can do this with %1 involved, otherwise yes we would use
I18N_NOOP and translate scalars like that.  The other problem is that context
is lost and that's important with scalars.

  I really think that i18n("%1-frames") is the only choice here, or no
translation at all.  In the past we did usually do no translation on tag
names...