[Kst] kst and robotics

Barth Netterfield netterfield at physics.utoronto.ca
Wed Aug 2 00:21:14 CEST 2006

Hi Bas,

On Tuesday 01 August 2006 15:02, Bas Kemper wrote:
> The goals of my summer job are:
> *Integrating Orocos with a plot program. The data stream is real time and
> thus asynchronously to the plotting process itself

kst is designed for this.

> *Ability to plot some data in 3D

kst doesn't do this yet, but could in principle...

> *Speeding up the plot program to generate real-time graphics (> 80 Hz),
> probably by using OpenGL for plotting.

We want to do opengl eventually.  We can do screen updates at >5Hz now with
the 2d X drivers, depending on the card and driver, amount text, etc.  Many
2D X drivers (depending, for example, on X memory pressure) have troubles
with kst however, in which case things can be substantially slower.

Typically we aquire data at 100 Hz, and plot the data as it scrolls by,
updating at about 5Hz.

> This could maybe imply a port to the
> Graphics View framework of Qt 4.2 and kdelibs 4.0

We will be porting to kde4 in >~9 months.

> There should be 2 view modes:
> *Only view the last X seconds. In order to save memory, free the memory
> used by old data automatically

kst does this now.

> *When all data since the beginning of the experiment is used, resize the
> scale of the plot automatically in order to be able to show all data

kst does this now

> Do you think implementation of those features is feasible given the Kst
> design

yes

> and the rather short time I have available (1 month).

no

> Are those
> goals compatible with the vision of the core Kst developers?

yes

> And what is
> the opinion on this list about refactoring Kst2 to a more object oriented
> design in order to share code with a newly created 3D plot object?

we are working to change all view objects into a plugin system - so adding new
view objects would be 'easy'.