[Kst] extragear/graphics/kst/plugins

George Staikos staikos at kde.org
Thu Nov 24 19:18:45 CET 2005

On Thursday 24 November 2005 13:13, Ted Kisner wrote:
> On Thursday 24 November 2005 09:31, Brisset, Nicolas wrote:
> | In the longer term, we were discussing an even nicer idea: we could
> | develop a kst extension with means to visually define filter specs and
> | see immediately the result (a bit like in Matlab's filter design
> | toolbox, but with the real curve). If anybody is interested, we can
> | spawn a more focussed discussion.
>
> This is similar to a feature I've seen in some audio analysis software to
> apply a dynamic filter.  Basically it works like this:
>
> 1.  Create a sonogram (or "waterfall plot") of the timestream
> 2.  Have the user select a region of the plot
> 3.  Apply a filter to the timestream based on the selection (band-pass,
> notch, etc).
>
> I think this is a cool long term feature, but we need to implement a lot of
> infrastructure first.  The biggest one is to make datasources into a 2-way
> object so that they can write data as well as read.  Or perhaps just have a
> new "datasink" object.

  That's on the TODO list. ;-)

> I think this kind of stuff is ~1 year away from being possible, but maybe
> I'm pessimistic :-)  Still, it's good to think of "big picture"
> functionality to keep in the back of our minds as we move forward...

  Actually I could add datasink support very quickly, but making it efficient
will take more time, making it generally useful will take even more time, and
adding it to the different plugins will be a task for others.  I would like
to see the ability to save to formats other than ASCII in 1.3.  It would make
testing Kst so much easier.