[Kst] extragear/graphics/kst/plugins

Ted Kisner tskisner.public at gmail.com
Thu Nov 24 19:13:30 CET 2005

On Thursday 24 November 2005 09:31, Brisset, Nicolas wrote:
| In the longer term, we were discussing an even nicer idea: we could
| develop a kst extension with means to visually define filter specs and
| see immediately the result (a bit like in Matlab's filter design
| toolbox, but with the real curve). If anybody is interested, we can
| spawn a more focussed discussion.

This is similar to a feature I've seen in some audio analysis software to
apply a dynamic filter.  Basically it works like this:

1.  Create a sonogram (or "waterfall plot") of the timestream
2.  Have the user select a region of the plot
3.  Apply a filter to the timestream based on the selection (band-pass, notch,
etc).

I think this is a cool long term feature, but we need to implement a lot of
infrastructure first.  The biggest one is to make datasources into a 2-way
object so that they can write data as well as read.  Or perhaps just have a
new "datasink" object.

I think this kind of stuff is ~1 year away from being possible, but maybe I'm
pessimistic :-)  Still, it's good to think of "big picture" functionality to
keep in the back of our minds as we move forward...

-Ted