[Kst] stripchart question

Taco Walstra walstra at science.uva.nl
Mon Nov 7 13:28:12 CET 2005

On Friday 04 November 2005 20:18, Barth Netterfield wrote:

You are right, it's different than I thought. Especially the example by Ted
Kisner was helpful in understanding these blast dirfiles. Perhaps anybody can
tell me a few things connected with the previous question on autogeneration
of stripcharts:

> A second convenience item kst has is the concept of indirect (.cur) files:
> the program which is logging data writes a file (logger.cur) which just
> lists the directory of files we are logging to.  We refer to this indirect
> file in kst. Then if the logger restarts, or changes its directory, then
> kst automatically picks up the change.  This makes deleting old logger
> files easy.

I didn't find yet any information on this concept. Can you tell me more,
because this is one the problems why I was looking for a dcop solution.
Our experiment generates datastreams which can change (in BLAST concept: at
certain times new directories with format files are created or stopped). I
understand it is possible to let kst know to monitor certain directories
listed in this cur file? So, changing such a file could automatically show
the new stream and/or let other plots disappear?
Apart from this, is there an easy way of passing characteristics such a plot
like the number of samples, counting from the end etc. (I mean by already
running kst and no user mouse clicking).
TW