[Kst] stripchart question

George Staikos staikos at kde.org
Fri Nov 4 17:50:19 CET 2005

On Friday 04 November 2005 10:45, Taco Walstra wrote:
> On Friday 04 November 2005 15:53, Barth Netterfield wrote:
> Hi,
> sorry this is not what I meant. We've been using that for a few experiments
> for slow datastreams to monitor 50+ sensors. However I want to plot for
> example 10 streams with different frequencies (some are at 1 Hz, others at
> 50Hz for example) and sometimes lots of data. For this we use a hacked c++
> program which needs some refreshing, so I was wondering if a small
> interface to kst would be a nice solution. Writing the data from 3
> different tcp sockets (each containing n streams) first to file and let kst
> update this is not a real solution. I only want to send the data directly
> to the plot from a small program and use kst as backend.

   This is possible but it requires you to write a plugin.  You would need to
write a new "datasource" plugin that emulates a file but reads data from a
socket instead.  The only issue I can think of is that we probably don't
gracefully handle a case where the datasource itself loses data at the start
and picks it up at the end.  You would either need to cache all the data from
start to finish, or we would need to make a small adjustment to Kst.  If
caching is not possible, please file a feature request at
http://bugs.kde.org/ for the ability to support such situations.