[Kst] creating a new datasource reader

Grant Wilson wilson at astro.umass.edu
Wed Mar 16 19:31:52 CET 2005

Dear George and Nicolas -

Thank you for your help.  We are way out of our league in terms of
programming here so we appreciate your guidance.

When editing the configure script for netcdf would it be possible to also
check for the netcdf_c++ library?  When we compile our netcdf code we need
both -lnetcdf and
-lnetcdf_c++ in the Makefile.  Perhaps this is something we should write
into the Makefile.am instead?

Also, could you point us to directions on installing kst from CVS?  Up to
now we've been downloading and compiling the releases.

Finally, our modifications to Nicholas' code were meant to be quite general
and to only add functionality.  However, they were also designed to
interface with our instrument's data file format which has well defined
features that we take advantage of.  We are more than happy to share this
scheme with anyone who wants it, but we don't want to get into a position
where we one day download the latest version of kst and our plugin no
longer functions with our data.  How are issues like these normally managed
in the open source world?

Thanks again for your help.

Grant

Grant Wilson                    Assistant Professor of Astronomy
Department of Astronomy University of Massachusetts
619 E LGRT-B                    tel: 413. 545.0460
710 North Pleasant St.          fax: 425. 962.8575
Amherst, MA  01003              wilson at astro.umass.edu