[Kst] Scripting plan

George Staikos staikos at kde.org
Fri Mar 11 21:11:46 CET 2005

On Wednesday 09 March 2005 11:28, Brisset, Nicolas wrote:
> > Yesterday, George, MAMD, and I met to discuss the scripting
> > language for kst.
> > A proposal is in kdeextragear-2/kst/devel-docs/scripting.txt.
> >
> > All interested parties are encouraged to comment while it is
> > easy to change :-)
>
> Sounds really cool ! The only "problem" is that it looks like I am going
> to have to learn yet another language as I have been able to live
> without JavaScript up to now. I guess it is a sound investment, and I
> will probably be able to use plain dcop anyway if I don't write too
> complex things...

  JavaScript is better than any other language we can come up with for several
reasons:

1) Many people do know it
2) It's easy to get into very quickly
3) "Immediate" mode is very easy
4) We have a well tested and debugged interpreter that can be embedded and
integrated with QObjects
5) It's easiest to implement

> One thing I'd LOVE though (not limited to kst actually) would be the
> possibility of generating the skeleton of a script (dcop or kjsembed or
> whatever) interactively. Basically, something like a macro/script
> recorder where I would do the operations in kst as usual and it would
> generate a script that can then be saved and adapted. It could a kdDebug
> output with a specific number, or anything better I don't mind...
> I guess that's a pretty common request, but I don't think it has been
> implemented yet in any KDE app...

    It should theoretically be possible to write an XML parser that parses
a .kst file and turns it into a .js file once we have the bindings complete.