[Kst] Re: NetCDF source

Kimberly Scott kscott at nova.astro.umass.edu
Tue Apr 5 17:45:14 CEST 2005

I wanted to thank both of you for all of your help with getting this new
netCDF datasource reader working.  THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!  As a
new programmer in C++, I have learned much from this process, and I think
this experience will help me to be a better programmer in the future.

After reviewing the new cpp file, I've realized that my interpretation of
what the readField member function is supposed to return was wrong.
readField is supposed to return 1 sample if n = -1, or n*recSize
samples if n > 0.  In Appendix C of the Kst handbook, the description of
the readField function says that the number of FRAMES that were read
should be returned, so this is why I returned "n" instead of "n*recSize"
(and why my plots didn't look right!).

I am still confused about one thing:  what does "n = -1" mean, or in
other words, when does n get set to -1, and why do we want to read one
sample in this case?

All of the other changes made make sense:)

Again, thank you so much for taking the time to help me out!

--Kim