[Kst] loading equations and psds

George Staikos staikos at kde.org
Fri Sep 17 23:55:05 CEST 2004

On Friday 17 September 2004 01:51, George Staikos wrote:
> I think I'm down to one last problem before I can commit the equation and
> psd / curve separation.  The problem is what to do about loading old Kst
> files.  We can't know if they refer to equationcurves as opposed to
> equations.  One way around this is to change the XML node name for these
> elements and leave specialized code in for reading the old nodes and
> producing a curve implicitly.  This of course won't be backwards
> compatible. The other option is to just ignore these old entries.  Any
> better ideas, or preferences?

   I tried implementing this.  It's rather nightmarish.  For instance, old Kst
files refer to the equation AND the curve with the same name.  We can't have
them both with the same name now, so we have to come up with a smart renaming
scheme that can go through all objects and tell them that X is actully Y now
because we had to rename it.  Also, we will have to come up with a clever way
to create the curve later, but not so far later that it doesn't get
referenced beforehand.  The reason is that data objects have to lazy load
vectors to avoid dependency issues, so we can't create curves from them until
later.

   Ugh, quite messy....  Should we just drop backward compat on PSDs and
equations?