[Kst] .ui.h file removal

George Staikos staikos at kde.org
Tue Mar 30 17:34:59 CEST 2004

On March 29, 2004 19:21, Barth Netterfield wrote:
> Being infinitely conservative, I prefer the inheritance approach over the
> designer approach.  It is more flexable, and one gets to program in one's
> editor of choice, and you always know where to find the code you are
> looking for (its not hiding somewhere).
>
> I know of no big advantages to using designer however... (other than
> perhaps slightly less complicated code - no inheritance.

  Less complicated code, fewer symbols and relocations (faster, tighter code),
the code is all in one place removing the requirement to run designer to edit
the base class and then edit the derived class, less chance of losing sync,
and keeping things like the connections in the .ui file reduce the amount of
code required.   You can use your own editor instead of designer to
edit .ui.h files - I use vim all the time.  The modeline is no more
complicated than the one we use in other files.  I think .ui.h is a good
thing in general, and I can't think of anything that can't be done with
a .ui.h file right now.  On the other hand, I can think of ways that .ui is
too limited, but that's a different story.

KDE Developer			http://www.kde.org/
Staikos Computing Services Inc.	http://www.staikos.net/