[Kst] Re: Data Wizard issues (long post !)

Barth Netterfield netterfield at astro.utoronto.ca
Sat Jun 26 01:20:26 CEST 2004

On June 25, 2004 05:47 pm, Nicolas B. wrote:
> For the hurried (it seems I can only produce awfully long posts !): here's
> a digest of my suggestions:
> 1) for multiple input files: valid fields in the datawizard's 2nd page ==
> variables present in all selected files is a BAD idea

Raised eyebrow...
Data wizard is 1 rule for all and is optimized for a common case.

The newcurve dialog (currently from data manager, but in the process of being
improved) can be used to read Col A in File 1 vs Col B in File 2.  It is less
convenient but more powerful.

> 2) ASCII options: why not put them in an "ASCII" subpage of the Settings
> dialog ? They can then be read by the datasource code from the
> corresponding key(s) in the kstrc file.

This is an architecture question.  We have several different data sources
(number growing) and it would be nice to have a common approach to their
customization dialogs.  (The issue is that the data sources are plugins.)

> 3) parsing variable names in an ASCII file is easy (a simple QRegExp +
> split() covers 99% of the "formats") and makes you life so much better !

Most of my ascii files are temp dump files without formatting, hence the bias.
But I agree that if we can implement a datasource configurization strategy, we
can easily implement such things.

> 4) a dialog in the datawizard allowing direct and precise placement of
> curves in windows/plots could be feasible (based on gaiw's "Definition"
> tab, simplified). ------

Your suggestion makes the cases we provide slower.  BUT: Perhaps we can add an
option 'custom placement with fancy widget' to the radio box which enables a
final (optional) page....