[Kst] kdeextragear-2/kst/kst

George Staikos staikos at kde.org
Mon Jul 26 21:44:25 CEST 2004

On Monday 26 July 2004 15:07, C. Barth Netterfield wrote:
> I'm fairly certain this is not a good idea.
>
> Here are two common cases:
>
> What if the user is plotting something whose Y axis goes to +-10^-10?  All
> is well with the old behavior, and not at all well with the new behavior.
>
> What if the user is plotting something whose X axis goes from 10^9 to 10^9
> + 100 (eg, time_t seconds)?  It doesn't take much zooming before the range
> labels saturate, but the change here does not fix it.
>
> The actual solution will have to involve new label formats (like a left
> side base, and then tick mark offsets if the label dynamic range gets
> saturated).
>
> But I think this change is bad.  Please revert (or discuss why it is ok as
> it is).

  Indeed there are problems which is why we haven't done it in the past (you
and I discussed this over a year ago I think).  However there is a point,
somewhere, where we have zoomed in "too far".  The trick is finding out what
this is (defining it).

KDE Developer			http://www.kde.org/
Staikos Computing Services Inc.	http://www.staikos.net/