[Kst] Image data type

Rick Chern rchern at interchange.ubc.ca
Tue Jul 20 20:57:58 CEST 2004

George Staikos wrote:

>On Tuesday 20 July 2004 14:00, Rick Chern wrote:
>

>>- images will be plotted on the 2D plot, using colours/shades to represent z
>>

>   Hm this interferes with my pixmap memory reduction scheme.  What kind of
>colorspace are we talking about for these?

I think it might be a problem - probably at least 16 bits would be
needed to display more than grayscale.

>>- images will be plotted underneath any curves
>>

>   What exactly are they for?  (ie, can you give a concrete example of the
>problem this is solving?)  I'm wondering if it makes sense to use a separate
>data object, or perhaps have transparency in data objects to use an illusion
>of them being in the same object.  In particular I'm concerned with
>performance and pixmap pressure.

Images would be like curves, except they have 3 vectors instead of 2.
So they would be used in similar ways to curves, mostly for plotting 3D
data on a 2D plot.  Zooming and scrolling on images would be analogous
to zooming and scrolling on curves.  It seems to make sense to have
images as data objects, just as curves are data objects.

>>Changes I would make:
>>- create a KstImage class inheriting from KstDataObject (not KstBaseCurve)
>>

>   Good plan.
>

>>- add Image button to the New section of data manager
>>

>   If it's part of Kst2DPlot, shouldn't it really be part of the plot dialog
>then?  Effectively it has the same standing as a label or legend at that
>point.

Images should be able to be not plotted, or plotted on more than one
plot, so I think making them analogous to curves would make sense.