[Kst] Re: Kst - parameter lists and events

Barth Netterfield netterfield at astro.utoronto.ca
Fri Jul 16 23:45:28 CEST 2004

On July 16, 2004 04:07 pm, you wrote:
> I'm reasonably happy with the way things are at present.

But unless I don't understand how things are, I'm not....  Maybe I'm not
getting the point of events...
Can you comment on the particulars below:

> One problem we do have is that adding data markers will
> not be simple as the events are created on a vector and
> not a curve. I'm still pondering this one.

Perhaps events need an X vector to make event curves.

> Andrew
>
> > EVENT MONITORS
> >
> > > I feel that the event monitor should not look at old values.
> > > Many of the events will be triggered within a specific
> > > context (i.e. value greater than 3 sigma above the mean).
> > > Thus, whether or not an event is triggered depends on whether
> > > it is evaluated when it comes in or for historical data.
> >
> > ACK!

Questions here:
> > Then what is done when you re-load a kst file with an event in it?  How
> > is this different than the first time you create and event?

Is this the issue?
> > I guess this is the issue:
> > If events are recalculated each update only on currently loaded data then
> > re-loading the same frame range always gives the same event, BUT: if, eg,
> > the
> > rms of data is changing as data is coming in then an event which existed
>
> at
>
> > frame 900 when frames 0-1000 were being read could disappear when frames
> > 800-1800 are being read.
> > This is neither surprising nor a serious problem when producing event
> > vectors,
> > but in deciding if one should send emails or elog entries, we have a
> > major conundrum at best!

Will this be possible?  How?
> > Perhaps you are processing last-nights data, and you want to
> > automatically produce an elog entry for each [whatever] event.  Then the
> > above is the right
> > thing to do. (Unless you load the same data again and produce a duplicate
> > set
> > of elog entries)

Is this the only thing that is supported?
> > Or perhaps you are running real time, and only want to send new events.
> > These events should only be based on currently updating data, and only
> > for events that have never been flaged.
> >
> > BUT: kst is current data vs historical data agnostic.

Comment?