[Kst] Interesting performance results

George Staikos staikos at kde.org
Thu Dec 16 00:07:08 CET 2004

On Wednesday 15 December 2004 18:01, Barth Netterfield wrote:
> Curves-lines compress points to max and min per pixel.  Curves-Points can't
> do that, so they are much slower.

  They could only print as long as there is a minimum (Cartesian?) distance
since the last point...

> > In the PSD, with points, there
> > is no significant change.  I think points are too expensive for dense
> > curves, and maybe they should be disabled after a certain point.
>
> Hard to say.  Maybe someone wants to see the 4 points in a spike, in
> 100,000 samples....  We could warn (?)

  We don't know this ahead of time (realtime especially).

> I don't think there are any huge problems in curves.  I will play with
> optimizing it over Break.

   Maybe we should test painting.

> We should be looking for unneccisary updates (both plots and data), locks,
> etc....

   Locks are taking almost no time at all for me on slow machines and fast.

KDE Developer			http://www.kde.org/
Staikos Computing Services Inc.	http://www.staikos.net/