[Kst] kdeextragear-2/kst/kst

George Staikos staikos at kde.org
Wed Dec 15 17:20:07 CET 2004

On Wednesday 15 December 2004 11:15, Barth Netterfield wrote:
> On December 15, 2004 11:00 am, George Staikos wrote:
> > kst: Plot Benchmark stats:
> > kst:    Initialization: 2ms
> > kst:    Plot Labels: 91ms
> > kst:    Plot Images: 0ms
> > kst:    Plot Grid Lines: 0ms
> > kst:    plot Legend: 0ms
> > kst:    Plot Curves: 143ms
> > kst:    plot Axes: 4ms
> > kst:    plot Markers: 1ms
> > kst:    Flush Painter: 0ms
> > kst: Plot Total: 241ms
>
> Do you have more than the default labels here?  I saw max 10ms (first draw)
> and more like 2ms usually, but that was for plain labels.  (are we parse
> limited, or X limited on your machine...)

  I'm willing to bet it's X / FreeType related.

> >    That shows labels are very significant in at least some cases.  Maybe
> > we can drive that number down to 5ms-10ms with the new code, using a
> > combination of pre-parsing and caching of the pixmap.
> >
> > > -Every other curve draw is ~70% longer.  Why???
> >
> >   Will need more fine-grained tests for this.
>
> indeed.

  I'm adding them now.  I also found a bug in the timers that makes it crash
with lots of labels.  Fixing.

> > > thing from a .kst file draws 3 times, the second time very slowly.
> >
> >    Draws once without curves, right?  That's by design to avoid blocking
> > the UI.
>
> No.  It draws *3* times.  The first is very fast (~10ms).  The 2nd, which
> doesn't show, is ~950ms.  The third, which shows is ~350ms.  From the
> command line is ~350 ms.

  The first one has no curves though.   That's what I'm saying.  That's why
it's faster....  The second is probably when it adds the curves.  The third,
well, can't explain that one.  The 950ms you see is probably due to locking.
That's why "real" timers are a bit unreliable...