[Ksecretservice-devel] Using PropertiesChanged instead of our own signals?

Valentin Rusu kde at rusu.info
Tue Jan 31 22:56:45 UTC 2012

Stef Walter wrote:

> Hi there.
Hello

> I've been working on GObject style bindings for the Secret Service API.
>
> One thing I noticed was that the standard PropertiesChanged dbus signal
> covers the use cases for all of our custom signals in the Secret Service
> API:
>
>  * CollectionCreated
>  * CollectionDeleted
>  * CollectionChanged
>  * ItemCreated
>  * ItemDeleted
>  * ItemChanged
>
> In fact the Secret Service was spec'd out before the PropertiesChanged
> signal became part of the dbus standard. In gnome-keyring we haven't yet
> implemented these signals.
>
> Have you in ksecretservice used these signals or do you use
> PropertiesChanged?

Well, we actually use the original specification signals, not the
PropertiesChanged signal.

> If we're not yet committed to the above signals, I would suggest
> changing to PropertiesChanged for simplicity and clarity. WDYT?

That would require us to change the implementation of both ksecretsserviced
and the associated client API, so I'd rather keep the initial specification.
The supplemental benefit is the clear semantics of this initial
specification over a generic PropertiesChanged-based specification.

> Cheers,

Cheers,

--
Valentin Rusu (vrusu)