[Ksecretservice-devel] Re: Are we going to use QML for the UI ?

Valentin Rusu kde at rusu.info
Fri Oct 29 10:03:51 CEST 2010

> Valentin Rusu wrote:
>> As you may know it, KDE switched to QT 4.7 and also will start using QML
>> for the User Interface. I took a look at QML and it seems promissing. It
>> even works on my kde-qt local compiled copy :)
>>
>> Now the question : should we implement new UI elements such as ACL
>> preferences dialogs in QML or should we start with traditional QT (e.g.
>> ui
>> files) then port them later to QML ? The former would take some learning
>> time and I'm wondering if we should wait and see how QML will be
>> integrated with kdelibs.
>
> To be honest, I haven't looked at QML at all yet - apart from the few
> blogposts introducing it. Given the current time constraints (see my mail
> begging for a shortened review period for 4.6 :-))

Well, that's the main reason I'm asking this question :-)

> I'd say let's stick to a
> traditional UI for the first release. Afterwards we could check if QML
> does
> things better and integrate it.

I also feel like that, so I'll go for the traditional .ui files.

> From your point of view, what would the advantages of using QML for the
> dialogs be?

Well, the main advantage I see is not rewriting these dialogs with next
release. Another advantage is simpler code, as one would write a .qml
file, bound it into the QT resources then load it using a generic class.
But we have time to do that once the project gets in trunk.

Regards,