[Kroupware] SourceXtreme, Inc MAPI toolkit

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Fri Mar 12 10:37:51 CET 2004

On Friday 12 March 2004 08:11, Bo Thorsen wrote:
> On Friday 12 March 2004 00:49, Robin Green wrote:
> > On Thu, Mar 11, 2004 at 04:22:56PM +0100, Bernhard Reiter wrote:
> > > I have a question about the licensing:
> > > This being GNU GPL means that it cannot be linked against the KDE
> > > components that demand the QT exception.
>
> Unfortunately this is not true. KDE requires only a free license on the
> apps (GPL, BSD, artistic...) and LGPL on kdelibs parts.

> > Um, the GPL does _not_ allow adding "demands". Are you sure that
> > they are demands, and not optional?

It depends on the policy of the projects.
KDE wants LGPL on kdelibs. I believe GNOME also wants LGPL,
if you want to get the software into their project.

> I'm one of those fighting for adding the Qt exception to all KDE software.

So we can say: Bo demands the QT exception. ;-)

> The reason for it is to allow people to link KDE to commercial Qt

Trolltech calls it "commercial", but "proprietary" would be a better
word for it.

See http://www.fsf.org/philosophy/free-sw.html:
   "``Free software'' does not mean ``non-commercial''."
 and
http://www.intevation.de/~jan/infos/dont_oppose_commercial_and_free_software.en.html