[Kroupware] things not going smoothly

Dick Kniep dick.kniep at lindix.nl
Sun Feb 1 01:20:02 CET 2004

On Friday 30 January 2004 17:43, Bernhard Reiter schreef:
> On Friday 30 January 2004 09:30, Kenneth Oncinian wrote:
> > Although I succesfully installed kolab server and client (I hoped) from
> > source, I logged in the web interface, created some 10 users, check the
> > checkbox to add the users to the LDAP addressbook but as of now, I am
> > experiencing this kinds of problem:
> >
> > 1. There are no entries whatsoever in contact regarding the addressbook
> > of the 10 users. but kaddressbook is configured to use ldap.
>
> KAddressbook should be configured to use the ldap
> and as default the imap resource.
> It will maintain your personal contacts then.
> They will be empty for a fresh account.
>
> You have to hit the search button to search in the ldap.
> You can then add the result to your personal contacts.
>
> > 2. I tried to delete a user, and create the same user account again, but
> > there is an error which says email account is already used. But the user
> > which previously hold the account is already deleted using the web
> > interface.
>
> It might take a while until the user is deleted.
> If it does not happen, maybe the server processes are not running
> correctly.
>
> > Did I install uncorrectly? Do I have to reinstall?
>
> Hard to tell. What version did you try to install anyway.
> Were there any error messages?
>
> > Can I manually delete
> > the ldap entries? if so how?
>
> Yes, s but it is difficult, see the FAQ.
>
> > Is this kind of problem a known issue?
>
> no.

Well YES!

If you look back some weeks, you will find some postings about the
webinterface screwing up the entries in the LDAP directory (januari 1st). We
created several users, and everything seemed to be OK, but the ID's of some
of our users were the same.

More precisely, we had a user dick.kniep at lindix.nl (myself), and after adding
another user (via the webapplication), the id of my user was changed to the
id of the added user. So I ended up with two users with identical id's but
different mailboxes.....
I still don't know how to solve it. I saved my mail in a local mailbox, and
after that I deleted the user dick.kniep at lindix.nl, and made it anew,
however, although the obvious error has disappeared (the id's are correct
now), we still have lots of problems, and currently are considering switching
to another solution. For instance when a colleague tried a plugin in Outlook,
his mailbox became visible in my kol
ab mailbox. And as I am typing this, every time Kmail is trying to get new
mail from the server, I get messages about a permission problem (probably
related to the fact that I am seeing mailboxes of my colleague.

I hope I didn't discourage you, and if anyone out there knows what is going
on, I would highly appreciate it if you could instruct me what to do to
correct the described problems.

Cheers,

D.J. Kniep
Lindix BV