[Kroupware] Forwarding mail to unknown recipient to another server

Paul Gargan pgargan at nexgenfs.com
Mon Apr 5 16:39:21 CEST 2004

Hi Ellis,

Ellis Whitehead wrote:
> Hello Paul,
>
> Thanks for the info. ;)  I'm afraid it didn't work though -- came back with
> the following response:

>  <axel.richter at example.de>:
> host /kolab/var/kolab/lmtp[/kolab/var/kolab/lmtp]
>      said: 550-Mailbox unknown.  Either there is no mailbox associated with
> this
>      550-name or you do not have authorization to see it. 550 5.1.1 User
> unknown

This looks like your Kolab box is trying to handle mail for axel.richter
itself (an unknown local account), instead of passing it off to your
primary email server like you want it to.

> We're using a somewhat older version of Kolab: from mid-September.  The
> "kolabconf" file you mentioned doesn't exist in that version, but a restart
> of kolab did appropriately copy main.cf.template
> to /kolab/etc/postfix/main.cf.
>
>         mail /kolab # grep luser etc/postfix/main.cf
>         luser_relay = $user at mail.arcor-ip.de
>
>         mail /kolab # grep local_recipient_maps etc/postfix/main.cf
>         local_recipient_maps =

This *looks* correct. Out of interest, what version of Postfix are you
using ("/kolab/bin/rpm -qi postfix")

Note too that sample documentation explaining most of the possible Kolab
configuration parameters is in /kolab/etc/postfix/sample

Hmmm. Further reading suggests that "mailbox_transport" (which is set to
"lmtp" under Kolab) takes precedence over "luser_relay". So apologies
for sending you down the wrong path with my initial suggestion!

Another idea:
In main.cf.template, set:

Then edit the /kolab/etc/kolab/transport.template file.
Documentation available with "man 5 transport".
You should be able to add lines like:

	user1 at example.com	smtp:[ip.address.of.other.machine]
	user2 at example.com	smtp:[ip.address.of.other.machine]

The idea is to tell Postfix to deliver mail for the non-local accounts
via SMTP to your primary server. The [square brackets] tell Postfix
*not* to do an MX lookup of the far machine, which might resolve back to
the Kolab server, depending on how you have your systems configured.

Of course, explicitly listing all remote users in this manner could get
a little tedious if there are many such users :-/

> However, I need to send the emails on to another server without changing the
> email address -- if it gets changed to axel.richter at mail.arcor-ip.de, then
> the arcor server won't know which company its for.

If the above works (test it :) the entire mail - including the original
envelope details - should be fed via SMTP to the remtoe machine.