[Kroupware] Some questions

Nicolas Huillard nhuillard at ghs.fr
Tue Nov 18 10:43:25 CET 2003

Andreas Gungl wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've a Kolab server running in our company which currently serves only LDAP.
> This works pretty well, and we intend to widen the usage to LDAP and the
> calendar features. Here are my questions I need to get answers for before I
> can go ahead:
>
> Our network has a DMZ with a mail server inside. Access is made via SMTP
> (sendmail is running) and POP3. We intend to place the Kolab server inside
> our intranet (then using IMAP and SMTP to postfix). The existing server
> should work as a proxy only. Does somebody run a similar configuration and
> what are the common pitfalls in the setup?

We have this kind or setup. Incoming and outgoing mail is handled by the
SMTP server in the DMZ. Destination domain is rewritten to allow the DMZ
server to send the kolab e-mails to the proper kolab server, ie.
incoming mail is rewritten from @ghs.fr (public domain name) to @int.ghs
(private / internal domain name, corresponding to the kolab server),
then sent to the proper machine.
The big drawback is that e-mail addresses and accounts in kolab are
@int.ghs, the LDAP server publishes internal-only addresses that we must
not use in external-going mails, etc.
I'm sure we could have done that a lot better, but now it's quite too
late...

NH