[Kroupware] Kolab imap lmtpd locking

Nicolas Huillard nhuillard at ghs.fr
Wed Nov 12 23:52:56 CET 2003

Hello all,

We are currently experiencing repeated locking of the lmtpd processes. A
few searches on the Cyrus imapd mailing lists show a lot of locking
problems due to interaction with the Linux kernel / glibc (locking in
the "seen database", "quota database", "even cyrus.cache" databases).
When locking (or dead-locking) occurs, Postfix can't deliver mails and
there are many pending lmtpd processes (children of /kolab/bin/cyrmaster).
The lmtpd.log file is full of "lmtpd[23427]: DBERROR db4: 182 lockers"
(with an ever increasing number of lockers). There are usually nearly 20
"lockers", but when the problem arise, their number increase (182 here),
and I saw as many as 1000+ lockers after a week-end.
This time, whatever I do, the mailq is still increasing and the lockers
number increase too.

The cyrus mailing-list talks about a number of patches (some said not to
work, some dedicated to special cases) : does the kolab project have a
clus about all these patches, a plan to include them, or whatever ?
It is also said that the Linux kernel is the cause of the problem,
without saying anything about version number...

We run kolab-1.0-1.0.14.ix86-linux2.4-kol.rpm containing
imapd-2.1.14-20030707_kolab.ix86-linux2.4-kol.rpm

TIA,

NH