[Kroupware] Kolab iCal <-> IMAP converter

Jason A. Pattie pattieja at pcxperience.com
Wed May 28 16:00:04 CEST 2003

Stephan Buys wrote:
> Have you looked at the CAP server? (Calendar Access Protocol)
URL?
> calsch working group of the IETF? From looking at your mails I would guess
> that you want to use iCal specifically because so many clients already do.
Yes.  We are specifically thinking about those clients that do not have
Kroupware capabilities but already do iCal calendaring (like Evolution,
Mozilla Calendar, Apple's iCal, etc.).

> I suggest you look at what the guys are doing with the Horde framework.
We are seriously looking at adding Kroupware capabilities to the
kronolith framework.
> Diego and Adriaan should be able to help you. They already have reading
> Contacts (iTip) from IMAP working...
Cool!

> Maybe you can somehow tweak the framework to do what you want (like
> a special view)
Well, we like the CVS version of kronolith that has the multiple
calendars view, especially since you can view all your calendars in one
interface at the same time.  But it currently (as of a few months ago)
lacks the capability to write events to a remotely stored calendar.  It
can read them just fine, though.  One of the things we would like to see
the clients we are using be able to take advantage of is using https://
URLs instead of just http:// unencrypted calls.  KDE korganizer in KDE
3.1.x is capable of doing this, but I don't remember if horde's
kronolith was able to the last time I checked.

> Also, using the Kolab convention with http_auth you should be able to
> specify usernames and passwords with : http://user:pass@myserver (all
> controlled by the LDAP backend)
Yes, but that doesn't allow the CGI script on the backend to access the
IMAP server with that user's authentication information, does it? or
does passing the username and password on the URL in that way send those
pieces of information into the CGI environment?  (how secure is that?)
I would think that you would want, at a minimum, to use HTTPS for that
kind of transaction.

--
Jason A. Pattie
pattieja at xperienceinc.com