[Kroupware] Kolab iCal <-> IMAP converter

Stephan Buys s.buys at codefusion.co.za
Wed May 28 22:30:09 CEST 2003

Have you looked at the CAP server? (Calendar Access Protocol)
calsch working group of the IETF? From looking at your mails I would guess
that you want to use iCal specifically because so many clients already do.

On Wednesday 28 May 2003 17:23, Jason A. Pattie wrote:
> Diego Rivera wrote:
> >>ical2imap
> >>---------
> >>0. Authentication
> >>1. Split ical file into events
> >>2. Get ical events from mail server
> >>3. Process incoming events against the Deleted Events Log
> >>4. Update events in mail server
> >>5. Return modified ical file
> >
> > I'm dying to see who's going to step up to the plate on this one, since
> > I don't have much of a clue on how to do this very cleanly while keeping
> > with the current architecture/design goals and philosophy!!!! :)
>
> Well, since the Calendar data is broken up into individual e-mails in
> the user's Calendar folder and stored as VCALENDAR events individually,
> we would need to break down the incoming ical formatted file into its
> individual events and "create" e-mails with any new events and modified
> events (delete the original e-mail and create a new one with the
> modified information, at least that's how it appears to work currently
> with the KMail client).  I assume the Web Server application can handle
> talking to the IMAP server to accomplish this.  I just don't currently
> have an idea of what libraries are available for the different languages
> to do this.  I guess can search on CPAN, but I don't really know (yet)
> what I'm looking for.

I suggest you look at what the guys are doing with the Horde framework.
Diego and Adriaan should be able to help you. They already have reading
Contacts (iTip) from IMAP working...

Maybe you can somehow tweak the framework to do what you want (like
a special view)

Also, using the Kolab convention with http_auth you should be able to
specify usernames and passwords with : http://user:pass@myserver (all
controlled by the LDAP backend)

Just my 2c worth...

--