[Kroupware] More than one Kolab server

Filip Van Raemdonck mechanix at debian.org
Tue May 20 16:40:21 CEST 2003

On Tue, May 20, 2003 at 01:57:02PM +0200, Dieter Kluenter wrote:
> "konold at erfrakon.de" <konold at erfrakon.de> writes:
> > On Tue, 20 May 2003, Dieter Kluenter wrote:
> >>
> >> I recommend bdb backend instead of ldbm.
> >
> > Please explain why you prefer bdb to ldbm.
>
> There ar several reasons:
> 1. the ability of transaction control
> 2. the ability of database recovery after a system crash
> 3. the ability to set checkpoints
> 4. enhanced database configuration outside of slapd.conf

5. The ability to completely hang your ldap server, requiring a
   db_recover before being able to restart.

> the pros and cons of ldbm vs. bdb have been extensively discussed on
> the openldap-software mailinglist.

And elsewhere. BDB has several advantages, but it's also buggy as hell.
I've actually seen a SuSE openldap update (for SLEnterprise) which
reverted the ldap server from bdb to ldbm, _without asking_. They sure
won't do that unless there had been serious issues with using bdb. (Also,
I've seen the #5 hang I mentioned on both SLE & Debian unstable with
openldap 2.1 using bdb, so its not distribution specific)

Regards,

Filip

--
"For readers who have not been involved in balanced tree implementations,
 algorithms of this class are notorious for being much more work to implement