[Kroupware] Kolab server alias problem and more

Stephan Buys s.buys at codefusion.co.za
Mon May 19 21:07:51 CEST 2003

Hi Wim,

On Monday 19 May 2003 13:10, Wim Bakker wrote:
> Hai,
>
> I am now several weeks busy with the kolab server
> and I don't get several problems definitely not resolved.
> I don't know whether these are bugs or wrong-doings
> from me, so maybe I better drop it in the group.
>
> 1. Initially when a complete fresh installation is done
>     and the kolab services are started the first time, it seems
>    reluctant to add a user. I tried this several times again
>    and again , but after a fresh install and after added the first
>    user , it's for that user impossible to login , until the services
>    are restarted , only then user(s) get created after adding
>   them through the web interface. I reported this once before
>    , and the response was then that I should wait a while and let
>    the services run, and that it should update after some time, but
>    even waiting a few hours doesn't help. After a fresh install and
>    after adding the first user , the only thing to get kolab doing
> something is by restarting the services. After that , new users get added
> smoothly. Is there a logfile, proces I can monitor to see what happens that
> first time?

Some thing I recommend to check the status of Kolab:

1) /kolab/bin/monit status

This will show you the status of all the core Kolab services.

I have a situation whereby often my Kolab script and OpenLDAP doesn't
initialize. To restart LDAP I do:

2) /kolab/etc/rc.d/rc.openldap stop
   /kolab/etc/rc.d/rc.openldap start

and then again 1) to confirm.

My guess is that your problem above is because of some error in Kolab
startup.

> 2. What is the logic behind an alias in the webinterface? I have several
>     instances where the alias of an user isn't recognized as a valid
> recipient, notably when changing,adding an alias after a user is created.
> Where get aliases stored? Apparently not in /kolab/etc/postfix/aliases. How
> can I check whether a alias is correctly stored?

You can check /kolab/etc/postfix/virtual

Both your email addresses should end up there. (That is using RC1)

>  3. Outlook sucks, it never reacts the same when trying to configure for
>   kolab , it never works right straight away. Sometimes I can see shared
>   folders , sometimes I can't , sometimes I can see the shared
> agenda/contacts of another users , sometimes I don't , seems like updates
> on the kolab server don't go correct, or whatever, why can't people not
> simply use kmail. I hate windows. SO , that was a relief.

This is luckily/unluckily a problem with the Bynari connector, not a Kolab
one ;-) I have found when giving other users permission to folders that
I have to click on the "root"/mailbox folder to get the folders to show up.