[Kroupware] OL2000 Tasks revisited

Martin Konold martin.konold at erfrakon.de
Thu May 8 13:26:39 CEST 2003

Am Donnerstag, 8. Mai 2003 10:56 schrieb Stephan Buys:

Hi,

> Have you had any success with this (very old) bug? I have Outlook 2000
> available if you still need sample data. I came accross this little problem
> in a presentation yesterday :-)
>
> In the meantime I will use the caveat you described below to get around the
> problem.

> > What kind of attribute or attribute contents have to be
> > in the ldap structure or OL2000 to identify the other user
> > as windat capable?

Basically the following happens with OL.

Historically OL had major problems because it was sending windat mails to
parties (e.g OL Express, Netscape,..) not beeing able to interpret this
proprietary stuff.

So OL tries to guess who is capable of receiving windat mails. OL knows that
other clients connected to exchange know windat and assumes that clients
"communicating via the Internet / SMTP" cannot cope with windat mails.

Behind windat is a small MAPI database which is encapsulated in TNEF. Part of
the problem comes from the fact that OL uses an OL variant of RTF internally.

(E.g. OL is _not_ able to display html but uses an html to rtf converter when
displaying an html email. After editing the RTF this stuff is then converted
back to html when dealing with "internet clients". The problem does not arise
when purely communicating between OL clients using the exchange server)

Regards,
-- martin

Nobelstrasse 15, 70569 Stuttgart, Germany
fon: 0711 67400963, fax: 0711 67400959
email: martin.konold at erfrakon.de