[Kroupware] RE: Announce: Kolab Webclient (pre-alpha/planning)

Diego Rivera lrivera at racsa.co.cr
Wed May 7 14:46:48 CEST 2003

On Wed, 2003-05-07 at 01:50, Martin Konold wrote:
> Am Dienstag, 6. Mai 2003 21:10 schrieb Diego Rivera:
>
> Hi,
>
> > However, if it were to be adopted as the "preferred" web-gui for Kolab,
> > then it IS important for us to work very closely with the Horde team
>
> It is much to early to decide which is the prefered  web-gui for Kolab!
>
> First we have to figure out if the Horde approach really works nicely.
>
> Basically this boils down to less politics and more actual working code ;-)

Well, in my view the Horde approach works VERY well because it's all
abstracted - the Mail client uses "drivers" for different mail protocols
(i.e., it has an IMAP driver, a POP driver, etc.), so a special Kolab
driver could be implemented to support all the "funky" stuff being done
with IMAP folders and make it totally transparent to the user.

Also, it fits nicely for the Calendaring stuff, since the calendar
component (kronolith) is ALSO drivers based.  Same with the password
changer, the forward setter, the vacation message setter, etc, etc.  And
the settings can even be stored in LDAP if so desired!

I love it - I've deployed several installations to different customers
and the cool thing is THEY love it too - easy to use, never crashes,
heavy internationalization is already built in...very few reasons not to
like it.

However, I DO agree it's more of a "working code" issue than anything
else, so I'll start to set some time aside to work on this - as soon as
I can finish building Kolab (still having imapd problems).