[Kroupware] Free/busy vs. Outlook(s)

Nicolas Huillard kroupware@mail.kde.org
Mon, 31 Mar 2003 18:26:31 +0200

I am wondering what versions of the different Kolab clients will provide
free/busy lists to the server, and the format of this information.

My observations are the following :
* Outlook 97 will not publish free/busy to kolab (it's hard-wired to
publish this information to Exchange servers exclusively)
* Outlook 98 and 2000 start to publish free/busy, when in the "internet
mode", to an anonymous FTP server, and retreives info in an HTTP server,
both provided by kolab (while in "intranet mode", Outlook publishes the
free/busy lists to Exchange servers as 97 did)
* Outlook 2002 uses the "internet publication assistant" to publish the
free/busy list through FTP, Frontpage server, etc. depending on the
assistant's configuration (while in "internet mode"). The format of this
publication doesn't seem to be the same as Outlook 98-2000...
* all of this Outlook stuff is provided directly by Outlook itself, and
not by the Insight Connector, which have nothing to do about free/busy
(what a shame ; I expect the free connector from Konsec to handle that part)
* Kolab KDE clients publish free/busy lists to the IMAP server, in a
shared directory, using an open format...

Conclusions :
* different clients use different free/busy formats
* they use different locations (I doubt the shared IMAP folder will ever
be viewable using HTTP)
* all that make using different clients in the same organisation an
impossible task... (if one wants to really use the calendar)

Any thoughts ?

--
Nicolas Huillard
Directeur Technique