[Kroupware] Kroupware RFC

Helge Hess kroupware@mail.kde.org
Sun, 30 Mar 2003 23:42:57 +0200

Martin Konold wrote:
>>Good question. How does a client know whether a folder is a contact
>>folder, a calendar or a task folder (aka the Outlook folder class) ?
>>Is it possible to discover that using some IMAP4 command ?
> No, IMAP4 does not now about the contents of folders. Currently we use
> hardcoded names (due to limitations of the proprietary Bynari client). In the
> future we will not have this limitation anymore. You may then use any IMAP
> folder in any location for any content type.

What do you mean by "in the future" ? How do you plan to work around the
problem that you cannot identify the type of the folder ?
Do you plan to make any folder available for any folder type and filter
on the content type of the message ?

>>Is this hardcoded in in the Outlook plugin to some fixed folder name ?
> Unfortunately currently this is the case. (And results in a lot of unnecessary
> problems like support the french language, multiple calendars etc..)

I thought so.

>>I have another question: if you have shared (eg calendar) folder, how do
>>you manage concurrent write access (eg someone moving a group meeting) ?
>
> This is no problem at all. Basically you must forget about typical database
> problems which simply do not exist in our architecture.

This is because you have no shared calendar folders but only a single
private folder which is stored on the server, all scheduling is done by
copying all information for any user ? (where copying is implemented by
sending mails which are automatically processed ?)
What happens if two people move/annotate/edit the same meeting record at
the same time ?

If you have a read/write shared folder you have "typical database
problems", don't you ? ;-) [actually not database problems, but
multiuser system problems]

BTW: is the Kroupware address book stored in LDAP or in IMAP ?

regards,
   Helge