[Kroupware] Re: [Kde-pim] kontact

Don Sanders kroupware@mail.kde.org
Thu, 13 Mar 2003 15:17:07 +1000

On Thursday 13 March 2003 01:30, Ralf Nolden wrote:
> On Mittwoch, 12. März 2003 14:51, Don Sanders wrote:

> > > No, never had any problems with the branch one. It's probably
> > > that the addressbook on a crash (which doesn't happen on the
> > > branch)
> >
> > Sorry are you saying the kontact release crashes and the branch
> > doesn't? Any backtrace?
>
> Nope, sorry. Should have taken care of that immediately but I was
> showing off KDE at that moment *mumble*
>
> > > looses all its data.
> >
> > Can you reproducibly cause KAddressBook to crash and lose all its
> > data? Either from the branch or from the kontact package?
>
> I only experienced that with the kontact package, never with the
> version in the brach. KAddressbook has alwasy been 100% stable and
> even more I was astonished that I lost all my data.
>
> > > I think it's also a misbehavior that it
> > > doesn't do autosaving if you change contacts...
> >
> > KAddressBook when used as a part in Kontact should automatically
> > save contacts on exit of Kontact, I just verified this.
> > KAddressBook standalone from both the branch and the kontact
> > package should prompt for saving on exit. It might be nice to use
> > a timer to auto save the data but I don't think it would be
> > productive to discuss this issue further at this time.
>
> Maybe it's exactly the autosave feature that misbehaved. If the
> crash happens during that function your data is lost entirely.
> Autosaving should always work in a backup way, so one copy is
> always safe.

kontact just calls the kde libs addressbook save function. If the
saving misbehaved and data was lost this indicates there is a bug in
kdelibs.

Cornelius I'm looking through the kdelibs/kabc code to try to verify
that a temporary file is used. Can you give me a pointer as to where
the temporary file is created? (Assuming a temporary file is used).

> > If the 3.1 release works and the kontact version doesn't it
> > should be easy pinpoint the location of any bug. This is because
> > the kontact version of kaddressbook and the branch are almost
> > identical and the differences can easily be backed out.
> >
> > If possible can you see if KAddressBook standalone from the
> > kontact package behaves differently from the 3.1 release. If so
> > can you apply the attached patch to the kontact package and see
> > if the problem persists?
>
> No, I can't because I lack the time as already pointed out. I'm
> having loads of work to do here and there's no time left for half a
> day of experiments unfortunately.
>
> > BTW it's probably a good to double check that any problem occurs
> > in KAddressBook standalone from the kontact package and not in
> > the 3.1 release.
>
> As Kontact will be in KDE 3.2 it's not the most urgent matter for
> me right now. When we'll have more time starting to move packaging
> snapshots from HEAD I guess there'll be more users reporting
> problems by then. Right now the KDE 3.1.1 release is way more
> important than packaging a kontact development snapshot, sorry.

I'm confident that any bug you've experienced is a bug in kdelibs and
not one in the kontact package, and that by ignoring this bug you're
ignoring a bug in the KDE 3.1 release, and if it's not fixed one in
the KDE 3.1.1 release also.

It's possibly that the bug is more likely to be exposed by the kontact
package due to the fact that it autosaves on exit, but instead of
ignoring this I think it would be better to treat this as a clue to
help find any bug in kdelibs. I'm personally willing to spend some
time looking at the kdelib kabc saving code and looking for any
weaknesses that might be exploited by a crash.

Don.