[Kroupware] Re: [Kde-pim] kontact

Ralf Nolden kroupware@mail.kde.org
Wed, 12 Mar 2003 16:30:02 +0100

On Mittwoch, 12. M=E4rz 2003 14:51, Don Sanders wrote:
> On Wednesday 12 March 2003 21:15, Ralf Nolden wrote:

> > > And you don't experience this when running KAddressBook from the
> > > KDE_3_1_BRANCH? That would be surprising as KAddressBook from
> > > kontact.0.2.1 and the KDE_3_1_BRANCH are very similar.
> >
> > No, never had any problems with the branch one. It's probably that
> > the addressbook on a crash (which doesn't happen on the branch)
>
> Sorry are you saying the kontact release crashes and the branch
> doesn't? Any backtrace?

Nope, sorry. Should have taken care of that immediately but I was showing o=
ff=20
KDE at that moment *mumble*

> > looses all its data.
>
> Can you reproducibly cause KAddressBook to crash and lose all its
> data? Either from the branch or from the kontact package?
I only experienced that with the kontact package, never with the version in=
=20
the brach. KAddressbook has alwasy been 100% stable and even more I was=20
astonished that I lost all my data.=20

> > I think it's also a misbehavior that it
> > doesn't do autosaving if you change contacts...
>
> KAddressBook when used as a part in Kontact should automatically save
> contacts on exit of Kontact, I just verified this. KAddressBook
> standalone from both the branch and the kontact package should prompt
> for saving on exit. It might be nice to use a timer to auto save the
> data but I don't think it would be productive to discuss this issue
> further at this time.
Maybe it's exactly the autosave feature that misbehaved. If the crash happe=
ns=20
during that function your data is lost entirely. Autosaving should always=20
work in a backup way, so one copy is always safe.

> If the 3.1 release works and the kontact version doesn't it should be
> easy pinpoint the location of any bug. This is because the kontact
> version of kaddressbook and the branch are almost identical and the
> differences can easily be backed out.
>
> If possible can you see if KAddressBook standalone from the kontact
> package behaves differently from the 3.1 release. If so can you apply
> the attached patch to the kontact package and see if the problem
> persists?
No, I can't because I lack the time as already pointed out. I'm having load=
s=20
of work to do here and there's no time left for half a day of experiments=20
unfortunately.

> BTW it's probably a good to double check that any problem occurs in
> KAddressBook standalone from the kontact package and not in the 3.1
> release.
As Kontact will be in KDE 3.2 it's not the most urgent matter for me right=
=20
now. When we'll have more time starting to move packaging snapshots from HE=
AD=20
I guess there'll be more users reporting problems by then. Right now the KD=
E=20
3.1.1 release is way more important than packaging a kontact development=20
snapshot, sorry.

Ralf

> Thanks,
> Don.