[Kroupware] General inquiry re. Kolab + Kontact

Stephan Buys s.buys at codefusion.co.za
Mon Jun 30 10:49:10 CEST 2003

On Saturday 28 June 2003 02:15, Salvatore Enrico Indiogine wrote:
> Greetings!
>
> I have been a Linux enthusiast for many years and have even taught it in
> a community college for one semester.
>
> I would like to make the jump into full-time Linux consulting.  I am
> really excited about the progress that Linux is making with the 2.6
> kernel soon to come.  I am even more impressed with the progress that
> KDE is making.  I am of the opinion that Kolab+Kontact can the a great
> opportunity for KDE/GNU/Linux to establish itself even more in the
> business environment.
>
> Thus my questions:
>
> 1. Is Kolab production quality?  If not yet, do we have an estimated
> date of completion for version 1.0?

Almost. At this stage there's no use to giving a date, as it has slipped so
many times already. I think the aim of Intevation and the other companies is
to have the product stable for at least a couple of weeks in the BSI (Kroupware
project) and then announce version 1 officially. (It is very close though)

> 2. My understanding is that Kontact is going to be released with KDE
> 3.2.  That should be in December 2003.  Can I assume that by December
> 2003 we are ready to implement Kolab + Kontact in businesses and
> organizations?

That's incorrect. Kontact is at version 0.2x last time I checked. Chances are that
all the changes will not make it into Kontact this year. The KDE Kolab client is
pretty stable though and can be used until the relevant features are merged
with Kontact.

> Any advise suggestions regarding these ideas?

IMHO you can use the Kolab server in production. The client should also be
pretty stable, although I haven't played with RC3 yet.

As you said, this is a very exciting project and the impact on business should
be big. Stay tuned :-)

> Thanks in advance.
>
> Enrico Indiogine

Regards,