[Kroupware] Re: Custom UID and Kolab Future

Donald Loflin loflin at nustats.com
Wed Jun 25 19:36:38 CEST 2003

On Wed, 25 Jun 2003, Bernhard Reiter wrote:

> On Tuesday 24 June 2003 18:00, Christopher Lewis wrote:
>
> > Martin is basically saying that the full e-mail address is the UID
> > now, and there are no plans to change this.
>
> The aim of the group of companies is to conclude the Kroupware-Project
> first and continue to support the resulting Kolab-Server (probably 1.0.x).

If the aim is to fulfill the Kroupware contract goals, then why
was email-as-UID introduced in the first place?  I remember
reading that the contract did not require multiple/virtual domain
support (or did I read it wrong..), therefore the UID could have
been left as it was (or, the auto-generate code could have just
used the first part, up to but not including the "@").

> Martin already stated that having the option of using a different UID
> from the email will probably reintroduced, if there is good interest
> to make the easier again.

Add me to the list of those interested in, like Christopher Lewis,
having custom or admin-settable UID's - mainly, I object to any
login name having an "@" in it, and I know my users will too.
Chrisopher listed many of the reasons, but I'm also concerned that
for some systems, the extra-long name or the "@" sign will just
not work - ie not be an allowed character.  Another umm, "desire"
(ie probably not possible anyway) is I want to "drop in" Kolab as
a replacement for the current mail server, and not require my
users to change any (or not many) settings in their client.

It's also a control issue - I'd rather pick and choose UID's
myself, or at least control the auto-gen mechanism (perhaps even
have it be a separate script).  Having it hardwired in to be
auto-generated a certain way, supposedly to "help", is too much
like using Windows for me :-)  And, I think using the email
address as a login name (UID) will conflict with trying to expand
Kolab into a Single Sign On server later (do you use your email
address to log in via SSH?  I want my SSH login name and my IMAP
login name and my fileserver login name, intranet, etc, etc to be
the same).

Donald Loflin
Austin, TX