[Kroupware] Custom UID

Mike Hurn Mike at hurn.ca
Fri Jun 20 17:18:57 CEST 2003

For auto-creation UID's I suggest using the three letters of the users
givenName, the first three letters of there last name and a number.
In my case "michur01"

The first "John Smith" on the Kolab server would get jonsmi01 the second
jonsmi02 etc. There email addresses would take the form
jonsmi01 at domain1.tld, jonsmi01 at domain2.tld, jonsmi01 at domain4.tld,
jonsmi02 at domain2.tld, jonsmi02 at domain3.tld etc.

As Christoper has pointed out using the users email address becomes unusable
when it is also needed as a logon ID.

This should work with most other LDAP enabled systems. As well as
multi-domain email servers.
Giving each user a unique ID no matter what system they are using is the
main point of LDAP.

Mike.

Michael E Hurn, Mike at Hurn.ca, www.hurn.ca
11036 Swan Crescent, Surrey, British Columbia, V3R 5B6, Canada
Phone:1 604 585 HURN (4876) Cell:1 604 780 HURN (4876)