[Kroupware] Custom UID

Christopher Lewis kroupware at mail.kde.org
Fri Jun 20 16:53:42 CEST 2003

On Friday 20 June 2003 12:17 am, kroupware-request at mail.kde.org wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, 19. Juni 2003 23:05 schrieb Christopher Lewis:
>
> Hi,
>
> > How hard is it going to be to add a custom UID back into the Kolab
> > server?
>
> The effort would be significant and not in compliance with our goals for
> Kolab 2.0 either.
>
> I currently can only imagine to offer custom UIDs as an optional feature in
> post 1.0 versions. But this optional feature is currently low priority
> because we intend to use the current scheme as a building block for future
> multidomain capabilities.
>
> Our current contract with the BSI actually asked for the change towards the
> current scheme which imho not only has technical benefits like UID beeing
> automatically globally unique but also is better usability wise (No need to
> remember your UID in addition to your email address)
>
> Of course we are open to implement such an _optional_ feature if demand
> really rises.
>
> Yours,
> -- martin
>
> Dipl.-Phys. Martin Konold
>
> e r f r a k o n
> Erlewein, Frank, Konold & Partner - Beratende Ingenieure und Physiker
> Nobelstrasse 15, 70569 Stuttgart, Germany
> fon: 0711 67400963, fax: 0711 67400959
> email: martin.konold at erfrakon.de

Thanks for your response.  I'll vote for the optional feature.  After all, you
do have to fulfill your contractual obligations.  I guess I just had certain
expectations of this type of project, but I'm not in any position to expect
anything.

I'm also not a programmer, so I'm pretty much at your mercy as far as what
gets implemented.  One thing I would like to mention is that I would like
overall user administration to be simplified.  As I mentioned before, I do
have user administration duties for different applications.  That's just a
fact of system administration.  With LDAP, however, I have the ability to
consolidate several of these applications to using the same logon system.
Logon with the UID stored in the LDAP directory, using the password also
stored in the LDAP directory.  User administration becomes simple because I
don't have to maintain separate system, email and website logins.  Most
importantly, I don't want my users to have to enter their full e-mail
addresses to logon to their computers or the company website or webmail.
Knowing my users, they'll probably riot, then go on disability for RSI
related to the extended logon names.  ;)

Anyway, my point is that I would like a custom UID option.  Another option I
would like (eventually) is the ability to use existing LDAP sources (since
they're obviously setup already).

Since you mentioned it, and I'm not part of any other Kroupware related lists,
would you mind sharing what goals are intended for the 2.0 release?  If it
doesn't violate your contracts, of course.

Thanks for putting up with me.
--
Christopher Lewis
Systems Administrator