[Kroupware] Email client for windows

Jan-Oliver Wagner jan at intevation.de
Fri Jun 20 14:57:28 CEST 2003

On Fri, Jun 20, 2003 at 12:39:33PM +0200, Jon Bendtsen wrote:
> Jan-Oliver Wagner wrote:
> >Developing a Free Software plugin for Outlook would be a comprehensive
> >job to do. IMHO, investing such Free Software man power (if available
> >at all) should better be spend into developing an alternative
> >Kolab-enabled MUA (if spent for Windows at all).
>
> I dont think the trouble would be that big...

what do you refer to? the FS-Plugin? I assure you, that it is
a huge job (it was already for Bynari and Konsec) because
you have to deal with badly documented or entirrely obscure
proprietary  formats.

> Why not start with
> a MUA that already works on windows (and other platforms)?
> I'm thinking about the mozilla MUA. How much trouble was it to
> extend kmail to the kolab client?

yes, Mozilla alreay came to my mind for such an approach.
Still it will mean quite some work and doing it without payment
will make the job even tougher.

> >A Kolab-web client is an interesting compromise that should require
> >a reasonable efford.
>
> the problem with a web-client is that you need online access.
> With a standalone you could take an offline backup of the imap
> server.

Indeed, this is true.

> Outlook can do this, so why not kolab clientS.

The KDE Kolab Client can!

--
Jan-Oliver Wagner               http://intevation.de/~jan/

Intevation GmbH	              	     http://intevation.de/