[Kroupware] Custom UID

Henning Holtschneider hh at holtschneider.com
Fri Jun 20 11:34:57 CEST 2003

> How hard is it going to be to add a custom UID back into the Kolab
> server?   The reason I ask is because I've already got UID's for all my
> users, and I  want to keep it consistent across all programs.  It's bad

I asked the same question yesterday 8-)

> enough that each  applications (system login, database login, email
> login, etc) has it's  independent password list, I would appreciate at
> least being able to choose  my IDs.

>From what I found out from the code so far, you have to do three things:

1. Re-enable the user id field in create_user.php. There are basically
three instances in the code that have only been commented out. Have a look
at the patch I posted yesterday. This will un-hide the uid LDAP field.

2. Change the kolab script (/kolab/etc/kolab/kolab) so that it creates the
Cyrus maildrops using the uid LDAP attribute instead of the mail
attribute. The old code is only commented out. This will allow you to log
in using the uid and it will allow Cyrus to find the right maildrop.

3. Changing the Cyrus maildrop names also implies re-creating postfix's
virtual transport map which will map the email address to the mailbox
(uid) address. I'm currently working on re-creating the old code behaviour
there because the basic code is still there (you name it: commented out)
but the stuff around the comments has been changed, too ;-)

I *think* this is all you have to do but maybe one of the developers could
be so kind to confirm it?

I agree with Martin that the new design is much cleaner (especially in a
multi-domain environment) but I just cannot have 500+ users (most of them
computer-illiterates) change their email usernames ;-)

Regards,
hh