[Kroupware] build & install script for Kolab 1.0

Jean Dumont j-dumont at freegates.be
Sun Jul 27 15:04:33 CEST 2003

Le  Sun, Jul 27, 2003 at 10:53:05AM +0200, Bernhard Erdmann a tapoté:
> (cat << EOF
> make
> patch
> binutils
> gcc
> procmail
> zlib
> expat
> readline
> perl
> perl-openpkg
> perl-ds
> perl-time
> perl-xml
> perl-term
> perl-crypto
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Maybe it's my system (RH 7.2) but I had to compile openssl before perl-crypto,
also I had to add --define 'with_gdbm_ndbm yes' in order to compile apache
(it's defined as no in the spec file)

I have also some remarks, first the installation process is definitely too
hard for non-technical people (well too hard or badly documented), if you have
the skills to determine the compilation order and why such package will not
compile, you probably don't need Kolab at all.

In fact, I was asked to evaluate it (after all it is a 1.0 release) to
determine if it is suitable for small local government to replace exchange (as
a mail server). I'm afraid my answer would have to be no at the moment.

Also I still haven't found where to make certains config tweaks (bind to a
particular interface for example, something which must be quite normal for a
server). Of course I can tweak the /kolab/etc/kolab/*.template files, but
frankly I think a template file is just that, a template, and not a config
file.

Why use openldap and not take advantages of groups etc. it's used as a flat
file db which is quite strange for ldap.

All of the above is just to say that kolab still has some way to go, I think
this is a good product but it needs a little more polishing.

Lastly I only "played" with it for a few hours so I could well be missing a
lot of things.

--
Jean Dumont