[Kroupware] Mailscanner feedback

jon+kolab at silicide.dk jon+kolab at silicide.dk
Wed Jul 23 15:33:46 CEST 2003

On Tue, Jul 22, 2003 at 03:35:23PM +0200, Stephan Buys wrote:
> I have looked at the Mailscanner docs again and I dont like it. It requires that
> you run two instances of postfix, it even needs two sets of configuration files.
>
> This badly impacts on Kolab, as it breaks the configuration backend. At best
> you will only be able to manage the one postfix instance with the current Kolab
> backend.
>
> I am very interested to hear the technical reasons against the amavisd-new style
> setup.

The setup i use is where the MTA recieves the mail, stores it in a queue,
and then does nothing else.
Then a virus scanner notices that mail has arrived, scans it (possibly
unpacking mime, uuencode, tnef, zip files, tar files, ...) and then tells
the MTA that is is allowed to start delivering THIS piece of email, by
sending the right switches.

JonB