[Kroupware] Mailscanner feedback

jon+kolab at silicide.dk jon+kolab at silicide.dk
Wed Jul 23 15:30:11 CEST 2003

On Tue, Jul 22, 2003 at 03:35:23PM +0200, Stephan Buys wrote:
> I have looked at the Mailscanner docs again and I dont like it. It requires that
> you run two instances of postfix, it even needs two sets of configuration files.
>
> This badly impacts on Kolab, as it breaks the configuration backend. At best
> you will only be able to manage the one postfix instance with the current Kolab
> backend.
>
> I am very interested to hear the technical reasons against the amavisd-new style
> setup.

it uses resend. This has the potential to send email back out of the
house, creating a mail loop.
Like, this email is sent to the kolab mailing list. You are on this
mailing list, meaning you recieve a mail where the header says
To: kolab mailing list.
So, your mailserver scans it, and sends it on, on to the kolab
mailing list, which sends you a copy, which is scanned and send
on to the kolab mailing list, which sends you a copy, which you
send to the kolab mailing list...
The same goes for aliases which forward the email to another
address.

JonB